Healthy Aging for Your Eyes
As the optometrist of choice in Greenville, we are big believers in spreading the word of healthy aging for the eyes. While every part of our body gets older and experiences associated deterioration, there are many steps you can take to improve the health of your eyes as you age. From the field of optometry, here are a few tips for taking care of your eyes as you age.
Keeping Your Eyes Healthy as You Age
The most important part of keeping your eyes healthy is regular visits to the optometrist. People over the age of 60 should have a dilated pupil exam every year. Some signs that it is time to visit your eye doctor immediately are:
- Experiencing flashes of light
- Sudden blurriness
- Eye pain
- Double vision
- Red or swollen irritation of the eyelid or area immediately surrounding the eye
There is also a lot of small changes as well as lifestyle differences you can make that will contribute to your long-term eye health.
Changes You Can Make for Healthy Eyes
- Protect Your Eyes from the Sun: One of the largest contributors to eye aging is damage from the sun. By wearing a pair of good sunglasses that block ultraviolet (UV) light or wide-brimmed hat, you will be protecting your eyes from much of this damage.
- Be Active: An active lifestyle is not only good for your muscles, heart, and lungs, it also promotes good eye health.
- Quit Smoking: Your eyes are not the only reason to quit smoking, but they are a great one.
- Choose an Eye-Healthy Diet: Good nutrition, especially one filled with antioxidants is a great choice to promote long-term eye health.
Call Carolina Vision Care Today!
And remember that one of the best ways to protect your eye health as you age is with a regular visit to the optometrist. At Carolina Vision Care we offer Greenville a wide array of optometry services. To schedule an appointment, give us a call at (252)752-4380.